Monday, October 1, 2012

Preparations for a craft fair

I was inspired by this card I saw on Pinterest, it's so simply delightful I wanted to mimic the movement.

That made me think of a happy dance chanting "mimic the movement".

I would love to duplicate her card exactly, but I don't have the same tools to do that. I hope this achieves the same up lifting emotion.


I was again inspired to recreate this card but first I used three positive cuts  of the "Thanks" glued together to add interest and dimension.
Using the cricket to cut the leaves, then a stylus to emboss the veins, alcohol markers and distress inks to color. I cut a 12" X 12" cutting mat filled with oak, elm  and maple leaves, then enjoyed coloring and shading them. Three leaves tied up with a bow. I love it.



Up next is the recreated card using the negative cut popped up with dimension squares. I used the wood embossing folder to add visual interest and popped up the "Thanks" with dimensional squares. I even added the center of the "a".

Thanks you cards are always great to have on hand and use to express our appreciation for kindness and generosity.

I received a request from a friend, asking if I could make the photos larger so she could see the details. These are all sized medium. What do you think?

 Have you ever invested hours of your time doing a different technique and then smudged, smeared or just plain messed it up? No doubt...right? I didn't want to give up on this card. I spent a huge amount of tedious time piercing the scalloped edge around this card and tag only to smear ink on the beautiful  crisp whiteness. This is the SAVE. Rather dull but it works for a sympathy card.

I need to focus on the growing list of things I need to do in preparation for a November 3rd craft fair.


On that list is signage. Okay I'm thinking about a poster board sign attached to the table cloth covering the display table.

With that in mind I cut the letters shown using watercolor paper knowing I could use alcohol markers in any color. Leaving the paper attached to the cutting mat I colored all the letters, then added stickles, topped with more glitter. It is so fun to use glitter... it sparkles happy.

This is something you have to walk away from, put it out of reach, start doing something else....just leave it alone until it dries.

It wasn't dry when this photo was taken. So impatient or curious. I wanted to see the results. The following morning I removed the negative cut and the scraped each letter lose with the spatula. Cool results, each letter sparkles and has some strength and dimension. Next they were put through the 150 XYRON , and that is as far as I got. The mat will have to be cleaned and new  easy tac adhesive added.


"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
  ~Author Unknown

Now I need to decide on a background for the sign. Tune in tomorrow my friends, I'm not sure what I'll come up with.
Thanks for your interest. Be well ~ Carole

3 comments:

  1. YOur cards and leaves are beautiful!!! Yes, I have made a mess at the very end by dropping something on it....and that's when your true creativity comes into play to mask it....haha I don't see any mistakes in your beautiful work...so job accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of creativity going on, Carole! Yes to the smudging at the last minute after lots of work. It usually involves a bit of swearing as best-laid plans change! Your "save" is still beautiful! And your signage is looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a lot of people are prepping for upcoming craft fairs, the cards look great! good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments are appreciated.