Sunday, February 26, 2012

Easter Cards

I've been having so much fun I almost feel guilty. I can't wait to get up in the morning, so I can look through Pinterest for ideas and inspiration. Then I start pinning my cards and creating new ones. But it's the challenges that bring visitors to my blog. So then I look for a challenge to inspire me. Today with hopes to present at a local craft show I've made 4 of these Easter cards. The quality of the paper shows the embossing so well.

Now lying awake this morning I thought about creating an embossed cross. I created the cross in SCAL then centered it on a rectangle measuring 
4" X 5.25". 

Then I cut 4 of the crosses inside the rectangles on a heavy weight card stock (I had to use the cut twice option and the heavy weight blade). 

After lining up the rectangles with the negative crosses and gluing them together I glued the 4 crosses together and secured them on a piece of cardboard matching that up with the negative crosses thus creating an embossing folder.

 I'm happy to say it worked but I didn't use it here. Instead I layered and glued 4 crosses together to  create an "old rugged cross" inked with Rangers vintage photo ink and distressing the cross with ...pliers. You know they have the gripping ridges. It really makes a difference close up. 

Now I have a piece of white card stock with the negative cut cross, I used my cuttlebug and a framed embossing folder to create that beautiful embossed outline. I insert the 4 layers of distressed inked crosses into that negative space... wrapping the purple ribbon around and under the cross. Beautiful. Layered on violet or lavender card stock embellished with 2 punched pine boughs and 3 punched double flowers topped with white nail head dots, a dove and the sentiment "He Has Risen" Perfect! What do you think?



Next I made a "punny bunny"card. I used the same Cuttlebug embossed frame folder with SB (SpellBinders) oval cut die to create the negative space. I framed that with the 3 double punched flowers and leaves. I used tiny beads to add color to the flowers. The bunny and the chick are svg cuts available in the SCAL library of basic shapes-Spring. If you don't have a die cutting machine or Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) you just don't know what I'm talking about.  It's a great option often forgotten.

Wow do you notice the ridges on the bunny cut? That's the fabulous quality of
Gina K's Pure Luxury card stock. Again I had to double cut it, then layered 2 pieces together, and for added dimension its attached with foam squares. Colorful eggs were added and a black seed bead for an eye and a cotton ball tail with the sentiment 
"A cute little tail attracts a lot of attention." So fun.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimension"          Oliver Wendall Holmes

Be well.  Thanks for visiting Carole

6 comments:

  1. OMGosh, these cards are BEAUTIFUL. I absolutely love all the detail, very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE bunny card! Love your colors and design! (The first card is simply stunning!) So glad that you join the fun with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, how genius was it to use pliers to distress the cross. That is an amazing idea. . .has me looking at tools in the garage in a whole new way! Your card is simply beautiful. That purple ribbon wrapped around the cross makes it so amazing. Your second card is adorable! What a wonderful Easter card! Great stuff today! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I get the measurements for the cross. This card is perfect for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cards, giving the true meaning of Easter,cannot wait to try.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments are appreciated.