Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Card Pattern Sketch 153


What a great sketch right? Well yesterday I spent way to much time trying to cut one inch squares with a ruler and a craft blade. When ever I looked at punches, I thought it ridiculous to buy a square punch. Why??? when surely one can cut a square no problem. So I ended up with  a load of squares but not many the same size, and all a bit wonky. I have a cricuit, a cuttlebug and a big shot but it would have been difficult to use the cricut to cut out the exact elements I wanted from my floral papers, and I don't have the square dies for the other machines. I know I can cut a good square using a blade and ruler but not one that small. My next purchase just might be a one inch square punch. I will be looking for 50% off coupons though.

I must say I kept trying to make it work. I tried covering the edges with cord (to hide the wonky cuts) in an effort to resemble stained glass lines...then I filled it in with crystal effects. I see all the imperfections to clearly so I don't think I will spend any more time trying to make it look good.

While that dried I decided to try again with 1 3/8 inch square...that proved to be more effective using "graphic 45" paper featuring square elements.  


The card had to be 7" X 5.5" to allow for the larger squares. I started adding the squares thinking the card would be a top fold but after placing all the squares I had no idea where I was going with the design. So I left it-to complete today.


This morning  I decided to make it a masculine card and because of all the typewriters
 "you are my type of guy" 
was the sentiment I wanted to use. So I got out my little alphabet stamps, ($1.00 at Micheal's). Then I knew it needed a pop of color so I cut the SB fancy tag in red then distressed it with Rangers vintage photo ink. 

I glued all the elements down ...then as I was adding the red scrolls at the bottom I noticed that the tiny printed french words were upside down. LOL! 
I wonder if the recipient will notice. I can always say it was a test to see if they would detect the error. Oh well it's too late to change that. I added the photo corners, tack heads and some twisted gold wire. No flowers ribbons or bows on my manly card.


This 5 star card is masculine as well. I made it for my bil. He has grown and fashioned a handlebar mustache. So with that in mind the inside says: Happy Birthday Joe,  sorry I can't stay and chat...but I really...(insert a drawn mustache)... most dash. Mustaches are all the rage these days, at least in the crafting world.


"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook" William James

Be well my friend, thanks for stopping by. Carole



5 comments:

  1. Hi Carole, Your cards are beautiful. I love the colour and style. I'm glad to hear someone else had a little bit of trouble with this weeks sketch at CPS with all of those little squares. I had many attempts at it. I've had a little look around your blog and love it, so I am now a follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. :) Michelle
    ultimate-whirligig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comments! That sketch at Card Patterns this week was a bit tough! But hey, that's why they call it a challenge, right! Love your cards. I'm still checking it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole.
    I had a little giggle at your square story :) Only because I sat there last night cutting all the squares (twice because I got the measurments wrong the first time) only to realise now, while reading your blog, that I have 2 square punches that would have worked sitting right beside my desk! Ha!!
    Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are so pretty! The pattern papers are awesome! Especially love your first card with that sketch. The blocks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your squares turned out beautifully, but I totally understand your frustration with getting them just right. I resisted buying square punches for the same reasons you gave, but they definitely make life easier! So glad you were able to play along with us this week at Card Patterns!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments are appreciated.