Monday, September 5, 2011

Mix It Up Monday Think Pink

    I love challenges and card patterns. What they offer is the opportunity to stretch our skills. The "think pink" challenge is  focused on honoring one of the design team members of stampTV: AJ Otto  who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. We all believe that she is a fighter and will triumph. She is also celebrating a birthday next week. So in honor of AJ Otto I created this card, sending prayers for total recovery and wishing her a Happy Birthday. 


The harlequin pattern paper is from Crafty Secrets "Heartwarming Vintage Collection". I used Gina K's fabulous black card stock (quality shows) for the base, the strip (embossed with a harlequin Sizzix pattern)  the flourish and the outline circle from SB. The flourish is from Sizzix and MS border punch beneath the embossed strip. I made the roses with watercolor paper then used pink and yellow chalk to color them. I have discovered that pink is difficult to match. There are so many undertones, (some blue some yellow or purple) that you can't use just any pink. The sentiment is from Gina K's : Planting Seeds of Kindness, and 7 black beads finish it with a tiny black rhinestone ending the sentiment. I am pleased with the finished card and I've learned to work with colors I'm not drawn to...there's the stretch.


Current SketchThis is the delightful card pattern I used that inspired me to create the card. I look forward to using this pattern with colors I love, like blue or purple, black and red. What is great about some of the challenges is that you don't have to use their products or stamps and you can enter them in many different challenges as long as they apply to the criteria. Doubles your chances of winning. All though the winners are drawn at random it's always great to win.


Sympathy card

inside view
Here is one of the two sympathy cards I made. This one in black and white the other one I mailed was done in deep purple and white. I love the simplicity of the card yet it has a quality of elegance. Using the SB Fleur De Lis pendants with Gina K's pure luxury white card stock shows the quality. The sentiment stickers from Paper Wishes, a few silver flat beads and a sheer ribbon completes it. My thoughts and prayers for the family of the  bereaved are with me as I make the card and I feel that makes it more meaningful. I like to write a personal message about the person and place it on the inside of the card with photos corners. This allows the recipient to remove it and place it in memory album.


That's all for now, tomorrow I will spend time with my grandkids, that's always delightful and an opportunity to share my love of crafting with them. Be well. Carole


Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. ~Philip K. Dick







2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your friend will love and appreciate the card. I really need to stock up on sympathy cards but I find I always put that to the side to do happy cards. Of course then when I need one I have to rush. Love the black and white :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Carole...it will be well received with out a doubt. I dig the quotes you add at the end of your posts....I hope they never end 'cause I gobble 'em up and jot 'em in my quote journal for future art or just to reflect on. YOU ROCK!
    Peace and Much Love

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments are appreciated.